Friday, February 28, 2014

Heart Warming

Every once in a while I run into someone that warms my heart and restores my faith in the true value of marriage.

While at work this week, I happened to meet a composite technology engineer.  He's worked for our employer for many years and loves his job.  He's long since been eligible to retire, but works because he loves what he does.  

So when someone who's this seasoned and experienced leans closer to me and whispers, "I have a secret," I am all ears.  I work in HR and part of me fears he's going to say something horrific that I'll have to take action on and part of me is so intrigued nothing could disrupt the moment.

He then went on to share how his wife had MS and long ago lost her ability to read.  His wife loves romance novels and the thought of not being able to enjoy the latest offerings of her favorite authors made her macular degeneration unbearable.  Being the loving husband he is, he took up the task of reading her favorite genre every night before they go to bed.

Now he's fallen in love with romance novels and is writing his very own based on his great-grandparent's love story, who came to America and settled in Montana in the 1800s.  He's asked if I'd be willing to look at the first few pages--and I can hardly wait.  He's a contributing freelance writer for a firearms magazine--so I'm quite interested to see how someone who is very detailed and a technical writer by day is a savvy romance writer by night.

To me, this engineer wins the Husband of the Year Award.  He epitomizes what marriage should be about.  Staying by someone's side, regardless of what life throws them--and seeks a way to make their life better.  Along the way he fell in love with the writers that his wife loved which shows he has an open mind and heart.

I can count on one hand how many people I know who've stayed with their husband through thick and thin and didn't wind up in divorce.  When I hear things like this, it restores my faith in marriage.  

I wonder if he knows how to clone that?

No comments:

Post a Comment